9.28.2011

Just like Ants...

You must understand the annoyance of ants marching all over your kitchen counter and the floor. Here in Brazil we have a beautiful white tiled floor. The ants can be seen for miles! And while they can be an annoyance at times, today I'm thankful for their persistent march around my house!


Last week I thought I'd beat them when I laid down salt along where I thought they were getting in. Someone told me they won't cross the salt line. As soon as I sat down to appreciate my efforts, ants started marching up and over the salt and right into my living room. So I tried to think of a potent spice that might deter them, so I laid down cinnamon. I watched for a few minutes and nothing! I checked the next day and still, no ants! I was so proud!

Today I noticed ants all over again so I went back to the barrier I built. The ants marched right through it this time, and persistently kept marching on. They’ve been working for a weak at plowing through, and finally they did. Well, this was quite the encouragement for me, the language learner...

The frustration of trying to explain anything lately has given me a true appreciation for the term "language barrier". I try my hardest but sometimes I just can't crawl over it. So with my newest object lesson, I will do like the ants and keep plowing until I get through it. Trite, I know. But there will be days when God gets your attention with something silly and you won't care how silly it sounds, you'll just be glad you found the encouragement to push through the trial.

Now I'm off for another day in Brazil. This barrier will slowly crumble, and then i'll happily march right on through!

No comments:

Post a Comment